Social Media: From Now On

After my experience with the social media blackout, and taking time to analyze my behavior in depth, I have concluded that I am addicted to Instagram. I can't say that I'm addicted to Snapchat or Facebook because I can imagine not going a while without them. However, it would be difficult for me to give up Instagram for longer than 48 hours. The feeling of missing out on new posts from my friends urges me to frequently click on the app. Also, my desire to take cute, aesthetic, likable pictures and post them for my friends to see keeps me constantly active on Instagram. I'm always looking for the perfect moment to take a picture that is "Instagram worthy." For example, this last Christmas my boyfriend got us tickets to the Enchant light maze. I was excited to see the lights and get in the Christmas spirit, but the main focus for me was to get a cute picture for Instagram. As we walked through the lights, I searched for the perfect place to take that "Instagram worthy" picture that would be liked by everyone who saw it. This proved that I let Instagram have too big of a voice in my life. Although I spend more time on social media than I probably should, I am aware that it can be a huge distraction and has many consequences. One consequence has stood out to me, concerning my own "addiction" to Instagram: I miss out on what is going on in the environment around me. It's so easy for me to pull my phone out of my pocket and get on Instagram when I am walking through campus, waiting for my food in a restaurant, and even sitting in the living room with my family. One day I might look back on these days of my life, wishing I payed more attention to the places and people around me, even in the simplest, every-day situations. I have relied on Instagram as a comfort and stimulator in my down time, when I really need to focus more of my attention on my surroundings.

With that said, I think picking up my phone to use social media has become a habitual thing in my life. Sometimes I feel like it's a natural reflex to reach for my phone the minute I get out of class or have down time. I think it has become a bad habit in the way that it can take away from my awareness of my surroundings, as stated earlier. However, I think it's also had positive impacts on my life. As I have mentioned before, I love following fashion bloggers on Instagram, and am working toward creating my own fashion blog soon. Instagram is a great source for this hobby and profession because not only does it get your name out there as a blogger, it lets you share what you love and value. It helps create a part of your identity if you use it the right way, and I have felt this through my own Instagram page.

As I have taken time to study my behavior with social media and to write this blog, I have almost built up a sense of resentment toward social media. Since we have brought to surface all of the negative impacts social media has on our lives as young adults, I feel guilty every time I pick up my phone to check a notification or browse my feeds. I think to myself: I should just be enjoying my privilege to go to TCU and walk through the beautiful campus every day, or to be relaxing with my family as we share stories and appreciate each other's presence. But instead, I revert to my phone screen. The screen will be there forever and ever, but these days and moments won't! Therefore, from now on, I will make an effort to not use social media frequently throughout my day. My goal is to wait to check social media until I lay in bed, after I have fully lived out my day. If I want to post a picture during the day, I will post it, but not be obsessively checking every minute to see who liked it. Although I dreaded the blackout experiment, and couldn't wait to get Instagram back during it, I am glad I did it because it opened my eyes to how much time I dedicate to something so superficial.   

Comments

Popular Posts